Saturday, June 27, 2009

Infinite Door tasting

These may be my favorite labels that H has done so far... She does an awesome job, and this one, I think is just perfect. She used the author photo from the jacket of "Infinite Jest".


In bottle for 98 days

Appearance - Nice two-finger head into 1; nice latte looking head atop opaque dark brown/black brew

Aroma - Sweet malt, Edinburgh yeast (a bit fruity but dark, crimson fruits, dark cherries for instance); oaky; slight pepper; bourbon

Taste/Mouthfeel - Thick, smoky malty intro; nice carbonation; dark malt flavors hit, coffeeish; nice hoppy bang suspending into oaky toasted finish; pretty complex and layered

Overall - I really think the bourbon comes out in the aroma, whereas the oak comes out in the flavor. Perfectly, I think, though next time I may leave the oak in secondary for a bit longer... A woody stout is one of my favorite types of brew & I think this is right onto it. The alcohol is masked well by the imperialness of the brew (and creeps up on you!) - hits you hard but slow. The Edinburgh yeast is perfect for this brew.


Specifics of brewing this in previous post

No comments: